Black Star Rising
“In order for the people to act they must know.” – Ida B. Wells-Barnett
Black Star Rising is an educational enterprise studying Black history, culture, and anti-racist activation. We design and implement socially-conscious programs that elevate racial literacy and inspire transformation.
Workshops & Development
We transform people and groups through immersive experiences driving productive engagement about race and inequality. We accelerate equity-based initiatives with “solidarity” tools that examine race as a power relation.
We work with partners to empower students with Black Studies liberation education. We can power your learning management program with knowledge-of-self education strengthening confidence and successful outcomes.
“I am because we are. We are because I am. May the circle remain unbroken” – is the African American maxim we follow to elevate cultural consciousness as well as solidarity networks.
Racism 101: Understand what 'race' is
Spoiler: It’s Not About Skin Color
- Explore rigorous definitions of race
- Examine the origins of racist ideas
- Build frameworks for more complex analysis
understand what 'black' is
The Power of Identity & Culture
- Challenge deficit models that frame Blackness as a problem
- Draw from diverse and rich conceptions of Black culture
- Explore abundance as a framework
Black Feminism & Liberation
Theories of How We Get Free
- Considers Black feminist critiques of ‘white’ feminism
- Introduces radical frameworks for liberation
- Explore conflict and controversy
“Allyship” is not enough. We partner with DEI and community leaders to debunk racial ignorance and address racism as a systemic public health crisis.
Combat Racial Stress
Build Your Armor
- Study the impact of racism on health & wellness
- Explore strategies to debunk and minimize the harm
- Invest in healing & accountability
On PRivilege & POwer
From ‘Allyship’ to Solidarity
- Unpack white privilege in relation to power and systemic racism
- Examine critiques of ‘allyship’ as a ‘savior mentality’
- Shift lens towards ‘solidarity’
intro to black studies
The Politics of Miseducation
- Introduces transformative concepts in Black Studies
- Examine education and history as a weapon against racism
- Includes insight from Black Women & Black Queer Studies
Freedom Future Now
Through community partnership, we’re piloting a new program planned for Fall of 2023 to guide youth through foundational self-knowledge education.
- Build leadership and cognitive skills grounded in the Black intellectual tradition.
- Coach and mentor school-age youth on community-based curriculum and STEM+Design (digital, UX, art).
- Inspire, enlighten and activate equity transformation and innovation in youth.
A Trusted Voice
Black Star Rising is founded by Dr. La TaSha Levy, a Black Studies scholar with more than 25 years of experience teaching Black history and culture to high school and college students.
Contributing author of the award-winning text, Understanding and Teaching the Civil Rights Movement
BA African American and African Studies, Univ. of Virginia;
MA Africana Studies, Cornell University;
PhD African American Studies, Northwestern Univ.
Recently published in The Black Intellectual Tradition: African American Thought in the Twentieth Century
Get In Touch
212 Broadway E #20471, Seattle, WA 98102